Skip to main content


You might wonder what is the difference between an emergency and non-emergency.

When in doubt, always call 9-1-1

Emergency calls may include reports of:

  • any emergency where life or property is in immediate danger
  • an injury requiring immediate medical attention
  • a fire (not a controlled burn pile or other controlled fire)
  • a crime in progress (occurred minutes ago, not hours)
  • a serious traffic accident
  • a violent dog has attacked a person (not just running at large)
  • a driver is dangerously swerving on the road
  • someone is playing with guns

If I need to call 9-1-1 what information should I have?  When you call 911, be prepared to answer the call-taker's questions, which may include at a minimum: The location of the emergency, including the street address, and room/apartment number, or specific location in a large building. The phone number you are calling from. The nature of the emergency.


What’s the non-emergency number? 541-884-4876 ext. 4


Do I call 9-1-1 to get permission to burn?  911 does not have the authority to grant permission to burn.  If you are going to burn you may be instructed to call one of our non-emergency lines to simply advise us.  For determining if it’s ok to burn, we refer to the DEQ 541-882-BURN (2876) number or your local fire department during business hours.


What if I need to report an emergency somewhere else?  If you call 911 to report an emergency somewhere else in Oregon we can transfer your 911 call once we determine which 911 center covers the location for what you are reporting.  This may take some time, even longer for us to look up a number outside of Oregon.  We don’t have the capability to transfer out of state.  If you have family, friends or other interests that you might have to call for, most 911 centers have a unique 10 digit 24/7 number so that it can be reached from outside its service area.  Those numbers for Oregon can be found on the interactive map at:  Public Safety Answering Points (PSAP) Directory Map


If you are experiencing a power outage do not call 911 for expected outage time. Contact your local power supplier to report the outage:
Pacific Power: 1-877-508-5088


For information about road conditions, contact the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) road conditions line:
511 - Toll free within Oregon
1-800-977-ODOT (6368) - Toll free within Oregon
(503) 588-2941 - Outside Oregon.
This is an automated service and should be updated daily. You can also visit to view road conditions on across the state.