Public Records Policy
The purpose of Public Records Law is to assure that all records of a public agency, with some exceptions, are available for inspection and copying by the public.
Every person has a right to inspect any non-exempt public records of a public body in the state. The intent, identity, motivations, or need of the person requesting the records are irrelevant.
Public Records Law applies to all public bodies, but may also apply to private bodies established by public agencies or other groups which are the functional equivalent of a public body.
At no time shall an original record of the District be removed from the District’s files or the place at which the record is regularly maintained, except upon authorization. If a request to review original records is made, the district shall permit such a review provided that search fees are paid when applicable.
· Specificity of Request: In order to facilitate the public's access to records in the District's possession, and to avoid unnecessary expenditure of staff time, persons requesting access to public records for inspection or copying, or who submit written requests for copies of public records, shall specify the records requested with particularity, furnishing the dates, subject matter and such other detail as may be necessary to enable District personnel to readily locate the records sought.
· Access: The District shall permit inspection and examination of its non‑exempt public records during regular business hours in the district's offices, or such other locations as the district Manager may reasonably designate from time to time. Copies of non‑exempt public records maintained in machine readable or electronic form shall be furnished, if available, in the form requested. If not available in the form requested, such records shall be made available in the form in which they are maintained. ORS 192.440(2).
Fees for Public Records
In order to recover its costs for responding to public records requests, the following fee schedule is adopted by the District:
· Copies of Call for Service printouts or address history shall be $10.00 per copy.
· Audio copies of phone and/or associated radio traffic shall be $50.00 minimum.
· Extensive processing time and research necessary to facilitate the request shall be billed at the rate of $30 per hour/$7.50 per quarter hour.
· The actual cost for summarizing, compiling, or tailoring the public record in either organization or media will be considered to determine the appropriate fee.
· Fees anticipated to be greater than $25 will be estimated in writing and provided to the requestor prior to processing the request.
· Other document copies will have an appropriate charge associated with the request.